Sennheiser HD 558 Open Back Headphones

  | Press Ctrl+D to bookmark this page Link copied to clipboard
Sennheiser HD 558 Open Back Headphones

While a lot of us here at Audio46 enjoy talking about headphones and audio quality as though price were not an issue, for most people it is an important factor.  And for the price of $179, the Sennheiser HD 558 Open Back Headphone is a monster of bass.

Sennheiser HD 558:  Critical Bass

Playing bottom rung to the gamut of Sennheiser open-back headphones, the HD 558 is a budget-minded option that does offer some benefits to even casual listeners.  Of course, the main reason to buy these headphones would be either the open-back design (for a more realistic sound), or excessive amounts of bass (which kind of defeats the first point).  So without beating around the bush any longer, these headphones sound as though they are 90% bass.  The remaining 10% is some last vestige of mids and highs that hardly does much music justice.

Which is not to say that these headphones miss the mark, because there are people who might truly enjoy these headphones.  If you want to bask in throbbing low-frequency sounds, what the hell, go for it.  If you commonly refer to yourself as a “basshead” on the interwebs, this headphone might also be for you.  If you’re looking for a great budget-minded open-back headphone for a wide array of music genres, this is not the pony to bet on.  In fact, this is probably the pony you should put down and turn into glue.

If you’re seeking an upgrade from bassy closed-back headphones, and don’t mind the sound leaking out of the HD 558s, this headphone WILL give you better sound quality, with noticeably less distortion.

Build quality is decent, while actually wearing these headphones is something of a treat.  Ultra-soft cushioning on the ear cups feels like a dream, and the relatively thick and robust headband engenders real confidence in these headphones.

Overall recommendation?

The Sennheiser HD 558 open-back headphones will offer a decent and worthwhile upgrade to bass freaks everywhere.  For listeners who prefer decent mids and highs, better performance can be had elsewhere.

See the Sennheiser HD 558 in the Audio46 Headphones Store.

If you are interested in further exploring Sennheiser headphones, feel free to reach out to us online through our email or live chat now. You can also call us at (212) 354-6424. Our sales engineers and technicians are happy to help and/or discuss any questions you may have about headphones and headphone related products.

Get the Latest Headphone News and Reviews in Your Inbox

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published


[SPAM GUARD] How much is: Answer:*
Loading...

Your cart